Tuesday, May 26, 2009

A Challenge

One of the main tourist attraction in Macau is the 388 Macau Tower. Those who dare (and have enough money to pay for it) jump from the tower for the trill of it. I came to Macau but not as a tourist but to begin my yearlong pastoral exposure and to work in our community. Soon after arriving I took notice that being a missionary in this part of the world requires also some daring – compared to jumping from the Macau Tower.

Do you want to challenge yourself? If so, come to Macau and be a missionary. Here you will know if you have what it takes to be a Claretian Missionary. The host, Fr. Alberto Rossa will be your guide as you begin this adventure.

First, you will be trained in physical toughness as you walk, or I should say, run with him around the city, as he walks leisurely in strides. By the way, you do not have to pay your tuition; it is completely free. The second week you will be tested in your mental stamina through which you will know your IQ as you deal with proofreading, editing, and translating all kinds of stuff either in print or digital. The third week you will be invited to test your psychological fitness, that is, if you’re still sane with all the deadlines you have to meet, plus all the demands of community. Then, the last week you will learn to have faith as you entrust everything that you do into God’s hands, as if jumping from the Macau Tower which is 388 meters at its highest.

To be in Macau either as a missionary or a visitor is always exciting. I came to Macau this May to live and work here for a couple of weeks as part of my pastoral year. I really enjoy my time here. The Macau community consists of two Claretians – Fr. Alberto Rossa and Fr. Jojo Ancheril – and three Claretian co-workers, Ian Dacayanan and Ate Divine de Leon, working in the publications, and Ate Tess Pardo, in charge of the house. I help in editing the Chinese translation of the Bible. I had never worked like this, but after a few weeks of training I came to realize that it is exciting to work in publishing.

I am so impressed by them and the work they do. I see it as an adventure and a challenge. So why not come and face the challenge with me! If they can “safely” jump from the tower… why ever not join the missionary adventure… Impossible is nothing!

Bro. John, CMF is a Claretian seminarian from the East Asian Delegation presently doing his pastoral year. He has finished his second year of theology in Manila.

Welcome, John!

No comments: